Tuesday 3 April 2012

Film Poster Drafts and Analysis


For my initial idea for my poster, I took inspiration from the original 'Friday The 13th' film poster. I liked the idea of the simple image of the silhouette of the killer creating dramatic effect, making it the main focus. This made me want to design my poster around this idea. I chose to stick with much the same colour scheme of the red and black in my poster, as I think both colours work well together at creating an eerie tone, whilst still being able to make the association with the horror genre and what the colours connote.

For my first poster draft I played around with the idea of using the silhouette but changing it slightly from the idea of the original 'Friday The 13th' poster. I used the paint bucket on photoshop to fill the image black, but on doing this the colour only went to certain areas. I thought this worked well when I had finished. I decided to put the image in the top left corner, as I feel this was where it worked best, and it allowed me room to put quotes from movie magazines and newspapers to the side of it. I put a plain grey background behind the image, as it contrasts well with the black and the tone of red I used. When choosing the font for 'Obsession' I used a font that looked like blood had been splattered. This helped with conveying the horror genre, as well as helping the audience identify with the way the killer will kill his victim aside from the knife being visible in the image.

When it came to the second draft for my poster I decided to change the tone of grey I used for my background to a darker tone. This helped to create more of a dark tone within the poster, which would then tie into to the tone of my trailer. I also changed the positioning of 'Coming Soon' from above the credits to underneath them, the tagline from 'An obsession that want too far' to 'How far will you go to escape?' and the positioning of it from above 'Obsession' to below 'Obsession' and to the left. I also changed the colour of the writing from red to black so it would stand out more. I decide to change the brackets that were around the quotes to quotation marks.

On my third draft before my final poster I moved the quotes from the left of the image to along the top of the page. This was so it didn't look too crowded and cluttered. But it still left me room to add anything to my final poster.


No comments:

Post a Comment